Retail Pharmacist to Hospital Pharmacy Job:
Many retail Pharmacists have switched to Hospital Pharmacy jobs recently. Hospital Pharmacists decades ago were paid salaries that were lower compared to salaries for retail, community , independent and chain store Pharmacists. Now studies show that the reverse of this is true. Taking into consideration longevity of being in a position, geographical considerations and the nature of the Pharmacy position and duties being performed by the Pharmacist on staff, Hospital Pharmacy salaries now surpass those of most retail Pharmacist positions. Plus, Hospital Pharmacies offer a wide range of possibilities for advancement that cannot be found in most community retail Pharmacy environments.
A “quick” list of some things that a Pharmacist should consider before making the Retail to Hospital Pharmacist transition include:
1. Hospital Pharmacy is a “fast paced environment”. It may not be the slow paced environment that many of us remember from the “old days”.
2. Although you may not have to deal with “difficult” customers, keep in mind that doctors and nurses can also sometimes be difficult to deal with.
3. Compounding medications is a skill that is taxing on an individual. Many Pharmacists do not realize the physical nature of mixing injectables in a Laminar Flow Hood. Pharmacists with back problems may find this a major negative.
4. The hours can be a negative (especially if you are the “newbie” and hired for the infamous “graveyard shift”). Hospitals never close, even on holidays.
5. Keeping up on your clinical knowledge is a must! Changes in hospital Pharmacy occur more quickly than elsewhere. It is essential that the Hospital Pharmacist continuously read clinical journals and articles on a regular basis.
If you are seriously considering making the change from retail or community Pharmacy to hospital Pharmacy, HCC can help you to “boost” your chances for success. Healthcare Consultants Pharmacy Staffing has been known as a full service Pharmacy staffing company since 1989. With all the services that we provide to both Pharmacies and Pharmacists, it it sometimes easy to overlook the fact the we are one of the nation’s most successful and respected Pharmacy staffing and placement firms in the pharmacy employment area. Pharmacy staffing and job placement are our primary business now for over 27 years. If you are a Pharmacist looking for a new position, we urge you to talk with us. With placement positions immediately available, contact us today online or call us at 800-642-1652 to get started.