A pharmacist job was just ranked as the twenty-first (21st) best paying position in the nation to have and work in for 2018 by US News in their annual “Best Paying Jobs” report. According to the 2018 rankings in their “Money” section, US News lists the pharmacy profession as having an average salary as a practicing Registered Pharmacist of just over $122,000 annually.
When reviewing the 2018 rankings by US News for salaries in the United States by profession, several interesting observations and conclusions can be made.
- Of the twenty jobs ranked above the profession of pharmacy, eleven (11) are also in the healthcare field. In fact, the first ten are either doctors, physicians or dentists:
#3 Obstetrician and Gynecologist
#4 Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Of particular interest to many are some of the next ten professions that were ranked nationally above pharmacists in regards to their average annual salaries. These included:
– Petroleum Engineers #12
– IT Managers #13
– Marketing Managers #14
– Lawyers #16
– Sales Managers #18
– Financial Advisers #19
– Business Operations Managers #20
What should be noted when looking over this second group of ten professions and jobs ranked as having annual salaries greater than pharmacists is the fact that US News broke out “Managers’ as a completely separate group or job category in several of the professions. These included Marketing, Sales, IT and Business Operations. One would expect that had they broken out “Pharmacy Managers” as a separate job type or category, then their annual salaries would have moved them above several of the other job classifications on the list.
- According to the US News rankings, the annual median salary for a pharmacist nationally is $122,230. As previously discussed, when taking a closer look at recent pharmacist job statistics, this can be somewhat misleading. The type of pharmacy job is definitely becoming a major factor in regards to pharmacist salaries. With the United States Department of Labor (USDL) predicting a drop in retail pharmacy jobs and an increase in hospital positions of over 10% during the next decade, one may expect that retail versus hospital pharmacy job salaries will reflect this shift. Additionally, when discussing an RPh’s salary, geography has been thoroughly documented as a dominating factor across the USA. One cannot compare median annual salaries in states such as California or New York to the worst states for pharmacy job salaries such as Arkansas, Nevada and New Mexico. As a realistic example, we have seen documented a national high of over $165,000 in Santa Cruz, California to a low of $46,500 in San Sebastian, Puerto Rico when comparing annual RPh salaries. The US News admittedly was only actually able to analyze roughly ten percent of all the pharmacist job salaries nationally, seeing a range of a high of just under $158,000 and a low of just over $87,000. However, they failed to note where the highs and lows were geographically located, plus what segment of the pharmacy profession’s specialties were associated with the numbers.
Pharmacy Recruiting, Pharmacist Placement and Pharmacy Staffing Services
HealthCare Consultants Pharmacy Staffing is known for being the leading pharmacy staffing agency in the US for over 28 years now. When it comes to pharmacy recruiting, pharmacist placement and pharmacy staffing services, HCC is nationally renowned for our ability to match the right pharmacist to the right employer and job in every type of situation. This includes permanent and long term placements in all 50 states. We also can help with temp-to-permanent situations.
Whatever setting an RPh is looking to work in and whatever needs an employer or pharmacy owner may be searching for, HCC is able to help them both. Our pharmacy positions and staffing availability cover all aspects of job types: retail, hospital, clinical and specialty pharmacies. We offer solutions for almost every type of pharmacy job you may be looking for, or every type of pharmacist you may require:
– Compounding pharmacy
– Nursing Home and LTC ( Long Term Care) pharmacy
– Institutional pharmacy
– Hospice pharmacy
– Mail-order pharmacy
– Home health pharmacist
– Respiratory pharmacist
– IV pharmacy and Infusion pharmacy job
– Nuclear pharmacy
– Specialty pharmacy
Whether you’re a pharmacy owner or manager looking for permanent staffing help or a pharmacist looking for a new job, HCC Pharmacy Staffing can help. We have a professional in-house staff of consultants who can find you the right pharmacist or job to match your needs. Contact us today online or call us at 800-642-1652 to get started and see how we can help you.