Facebook & Social Media for Pharmacy:
Social Media for Pharmacies is a marketing tool that every Pharmacy owner and manager we talk to seems to struggle with. Having over 27 years of Pharmacy consulting experience, HCC can help you answer the questions that you may have regarding Social Media for your Pharmacy business. HCC was one of the first national staffing firms to utilize the Internet for marketing and we will gladly share with you what we have learned from experience. Keeping in mind that HCC actually has 3 full time in-house Pharmacists with decades of experience in both Social Media & SEO (as well as email marketing), we welcome calls regarding consulting on these subjects and are willing to advise others regarding what we have learned.
So here is our main recommendation to all Pharmacy owners: A Pharmacy should concentrate initially on Facebook. (Please keep in mind that we are separating Blogging from all other Social Media in this instance. If SEO or Search Engine Optimization is your primary objective, then Blogging is the key. Consultations regarding Blogging are also available if you have the need).
Here are some of the typical questions we hear from our clients:
– Is Facebook really necessary?
– How much time and money are required to be successful on Facebook?
– Should I do it in-house or outsource Facebook to a 3rd party vendor?
– How do I measure ROI (Return on Investment) from Facebook?
The questions could go on and on, but the basic answer is this: Facebook is here to stay! Your patients & customers have Facebook at their fingertips, and they’re talking about your business (and their friends and family who are potential customers are listening). The highest return on marketing dollars today is from Facebook. This is especially true when dealing B to C (Business to Consumer). This applies in accessing customers and potential new patients across all age groups. Pew Research recently released a study revealing that over 72% of adults are on Facebook. Ask yourself: What better way is there to get a new customer is there than from a satisfied customer who endorses your business to their friends?
Although it would require many hours to list all of HCC’s recommendations regarding starting and maintaining a successful Facebook strategy, here are some important points to keep in mind:
1. Facebook (and all Social Media platforms) is about engaging your audience. Dialogue is the key! Don’t just “push” information out, talk with your audience. Encourage open, honest and responsive communication in an attempt to share information and to become a resource to you social media followers and community.
2. Content is what Social Media is all about. Many years ago HCC contracted with an SEO (search engine optimization) “guru” who stressed that for Google search rankings…”Content Is King!”. This is true also regarding Facebook. New and “fresh” content is what keeps your audience engaged and reinforces the fact that you are an expert in your field and a valuable member of your community.
3. Monitoring your efforts is required. How else can you measure your ROI? As with all marketing, a good rule to use is a return of $4-5 for every dollar spent. Monitor what works and what doesn’t and make adjustments as needed.
4. Reviews are crucial! Studies show that people are over 90% more likely to write a review regarding a bad experience at a business than a good one. So actively ask for reviews! You will be amazed at how many customers will do this for you if you simply ask. The point is that negative reviews are a fact of life, so be pro-active and aggressively ask your patients to submit positive ones on your behalf.
5. Be yourself. Be authentic. Everyone’s personality is their own and this is reflective on Facebook and all Social Media platforms. With time you will develop a Facebook “style” that is unique to you.
Although traditional advertising remains the focus of the marketing budget for most community pharmacies, large chains have set a clear example by investing in Google Ads, e-mail messaging, and social media channels. Without an effective social media presence, you will never know how your brand’s being talked about and seen online. Now is the time to take control of the information that everyone has access to.
As always, please contact us here at HCC if you have any questions regarding Facebook or any other Social Media platforms. Keep in mind that HCC actually has 3 full time in-house Pharmacists with decades of experience in both Social Media, SEO and email marketing, We welcome calls regarding consulting on these subjects and are willing to share what we have learned. With over 27 years in the Pharmacy Consulting business, HCC can assist with expert advice in any area of your pharmacy business or practice. We urge you to contact us today to see how our Pharmacy Consulting services can help. With a full-time staff of in-house Pharmacy Consultant specialists, HCC can answer any questions that you may have in all areas of your business. Call us today at 800-642-1652 for a free consultation.