New technology is appearing everywhere these days, so of course we see it in the field of pharmacy. Although many of us will not actually deal with some of this new technology for years to come, it is a very exciting time in the field of pharmacy. Pharmacy has always been seen as a profession at the forefront in the embracement and implementation of new technology. Just a few examples that have recently appeared in the news include:
– A new automated robotic system to prepare IV and single-use syringe medications being implemented in hospitals across the nation. The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt recently became the first children’s hospital in Tennessee to implement this new technology. The new system (marketed as i.v.STATION) ensures that medications are produced in an almost “futuristic” sterile environment to protect their quality and the health of the patients. Vanderbilt is one of a group of hospitals implementing this new technology (the third in the Southeast so far) and many predict this advanced technology will dominate IV production in the near future.
– The growth of next-generation technologies in the automation of the Pharmacy industry. The incorporation of various next-generation technology in automated dispensing machines seems to be the trend that many are taking. Some of the major technologies being seen include bar code scanners, RFID tags, automated canister recognition systems, and special tray systems.
Keeping up with the new technological advances seems like a full time job to many of us trying to focus on running our businesses on a daily basis. Yet we cannot afford to ignore it. Healthcare Consulting has been a full service Pharmacy staffing and consulting firm that has been in business since 1989. We have been involved in many situations involving the planning and implementation of Pharmacy technology over the years. Our services include:
– Planning and implementation of new technology
– Consulting for both hospital and retail pharmacy regarding technological advancements
– Development of Policy & Procedures
– Review of existing Policy & Procedures
If you are a pharmacy considering implementing new technology in your business, contact us on line or call us today for a Free Consultation at 800-642-1652 to discuss how we can help you.
If you are a pharmacist looking for a position dealing with new technology….. we can help you also! HCC has been involved in the temporary staffing, direct hire and permanent placement of pharmacists in various specialties for over 25 years. We urge you to contact us today and discuss what positions we have available to meet your needs.